Requirements for Coaches
Requirements for All Prospective Coaches (see below for each specific level):
All USA Cycling certified coaches must meet the following criteria before a coaching license will be issued:
- Pass the test for the certification exam for the specific level
- Complete the certification application including Acknowledgement of Risk and Media Release forms
- Pay the coaching certification fee (Please note that all coaching certifications expire on December 31 of each year; the exception is for licenses taken out after December 1. These licenses expired the following year.)
- All coaches must be 18 years of age or older at the time of license issuance.
- Be a US citizen or a legal resident
- Coaches must complete the required continuing education program to maintain the coaching certification once the license is issued. Please read the policy.
- All USA Cycling will be subject to a limited background check. USA Cycling uses the National Center for Safety Initiatives to conduct its criminal background checks. USA Cycling will NOT accept criminal background checks done through other agencies or submitted by the prospective coach. No coach will be certified until the background check is complete.
- The criminal background check is good for two license years. For example, if you have the check done on January 5, 2014 you will need to have another one done when you renew for the 2016 license year.
- With all licenses (regardless of term), any background check which expires during the term of the coaching license, the coach will have 30 days to renew the background check. Any coach who does not bring his/her background check current during the 30 day period, will have their coaching license suspended until the background check is brought current.
- All coaches will have sixty (60) days from the time their coaching license is issued to complete their required SafeSport training. Any coach who does not complete the training within the sixty days, will have their license suspended pening completion of the SafeSport training.
At the discretion of USA Cycling, any individual who has admitted to, pleaded no contest in regard to, been convicted of or served a sentence for a violation of the USADA, WADA, or UCI anti-doping code may be denied a coaching license. Furthmore, trafficking or attempted trafficking in any prohibited substance or prohibited method shall result in a lifetime suspension of a USA Cycling Coaching License.
Coaches are required to earn 40 CEUs over that two year time span. The 2 year cycle is based on when you first become a USA Cycling certified coach. Someone who becomes a level 3 coach in March 2014 would have a CEU cycle ending December 31, 2015.
criminal background check procedures.
USA Cycling cannot accept background checks from sources other than NCSI. USA Cycling understands some people are in professions which require a criminal background check. However, these are not acceptable as USA Cycling cannot verify the information being checked.
In general, felonies will trigger a block of the coaching license. Multiple violations such as multiple DUI/DWI may also prevent the issuance of a coaching license. A full list of our criminal background check criteria can be found here. Effective December 1, 2010 an applicant receiving a red light from the criminal background check will not be granted a USA Cycling coaching license. There will be no appeal. If you believe this red light is in error, please work with the background check company to resolve the matter.
USA Triathlon uses the same criteria for "red lights" as USA Cycling. Because of this agreement, a background check done for USAT can be shared with USAC (and vice versa). Please follow the procedures on the criminal background check page for releasing the report to USAC (if originally done for USAT).
With all licenses (regardless of term), any background check which expires during the term of the coaching license, the coach will have 30 days to renew the background check. Any coach who does not bring his/her background check current during the 30 day period, will have their coaching license suspended until the background check is brought current. Click here to learn of your CBC expiration date.
- You are eligible to take the level 3 online exam as soon as you order Introduction to Coaching Cyclists.
- Information on the online test can be found here.
- Complete and pass the Level 3 certification exam. The passing score is 80%. For those taking the test online, when you pass your score and missed questions will be displayed. If you fail, you will need to wait 14 days before retaking the exam and your missed answers will not be shown. Once you start the test, you will need to return to it at least once every 14 days to answer a question or the test will be "zero'ed out", and you will have to start over.
The requirements to become a Level 2 USA Cycling certified coach are (in addition to the above requirements for all coaches):
- Be a current USA Cycling certified coach in good standing
- Attend a Level 2 Certification Clinic
- Pass the Level 2 certification exam (passing score 80%)
Once a coach becomes a level 3 certified coach, the coach is eligible to attend a Level 2 certification clinic and/or Level 2 skills clinic.
Information on the location of Level 2 Certification Clinics is available on the coaching program page. Level 2 coaching clinics are held throughout the country and are a 2 ½ day clinic typically held Friday through Sunday.
Please note that becoming a level 2 coach does not re-start the CEU "clock". Attending the clinic will count for CEUs.
The requirements to become a Level 1 USA Cycling certified coach are:
- Have been a Level 2 coach for at least five (5) consecutive years
- Attend the Level 1 Certification Clinic
- Pass the Level 1 certification exam (80% is a passing grade)
- Be a coach in good standing
The Level 1 certification clinic is held in Colorado Springs every odd year (subject to change).
Please note that becoming a level 1 coach does not re-start the CEU "clock". Attending the clinic will count for CEUs.
However, every other year, in addition to paying the license fee, the coach must re-submit the criminal background check and submit the CEU report form (or pay the recertification fee).
For more information on renewals, please see the RENEWALS section.
This Article Published August 22, 2011 For more information contact: