Elite and junior men’s road races conclude 2012 Road Worlds
Valkenburg, Netherlands (September 23, 2012) — The 2012 UCI Road World Championships wrapped up Sunday in the Netherlands with the junior and elite men’s road races.
Alexandre Darville (Santa Barbara, Calif./Hammer Nutrition-CMG Racing Team) was the first American to cross the line in the junior men’s race, placing 16th and finishing with the same time as the winner, Matej Mohoric of Slovakia. Alexey Vermeulen (Pinckney, Mich./Bissell-ABG-NUVO), the next American finisher at 52nd place, also finished in the front group.
Elite Men’s Road Race
In the elite men’s race, Andrew Talansky (Napa, Calif./Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda) led the American effort with a 43rd-place finish, 1:54 off the time of new world champion Philippe Gilbert of Belgium.
Alex Howes (Golden, Colo./Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda) and Timmy Duggan (Nederland, Colo./Liquigas-Cannondale) were part of an early 11-man breakaway, but that lead group was eventually absorbed by the peloton. Talansky attacked with two laps remaining, gaining more than a minute on the peloton, but his move was also caught.
In all, USA Cycling’s team brought home two silver medals in the elite time trials, with Evelyn Stevens (Dennis, Mass./Specialized-lululemon) earning one in the women’s race and Taylor Phinney (Boulder, Colo./BMC Racing) riding to second in the men’s race. In addition, American riders posted four other top 10 finishes, including: Tejay van Garderen’s (Boulder, Colo./BMC Racing) fourth in the elite men’s time trial, Amber Neben’s (Lake Forest, Calif./Specialized-lululemon) seventh in the elite women’s time trial and fourth in the elite women’s road race, and T.J. Eisenhart’s (Lehi, Utah/Velosport Racing) 10th in the junior men’s time trial.
For USA Cycling’s complete coverage of the event, visit our 2012 UCI Road World Championships webpage.
2012 UCI Road World Championships
Limburg, The Netherlands
September 15-23, 2012
Junior Men’s Road Race (128.8 km)
1. Matej Mohoric (SLO) 3:00:45
2. Caleb Ewan (AUS) same time
3. Josip Rumac (CRO) s.t.
16. Alexandre Darville (Santa Barbara, Calif./Hammer Nutrition-CMG Racing Team) s.t.
52. Alexey Vermeulen (Pinckney, Mich./Bissell-ABG-NUVO) s.t.
72. Geoffrey Curran (Tustin, Calif./Surf City Cyclery-Sterling BMW) + :12
123. Gregory Daniel (Englewood, Colo./Slipstream-Craddock Junior Development) +8:56
Miguel Bryon (Miami, Fla./BLUE STAR-BOOM Development Team) DNF
T.J. Eisenhart (Lehi, Utah/Velosport Racing) DNF
Elite Men’s Road Race (269 km)
1. Philippe Gilbert (BEL) 6:10:41
2. Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) + :04
3. Alejandro Valverde (ESP) + :05
43. Andrew Talansky (Napa, Calif./Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda) +1:54
64. Alex Howes (Golden, Colo./Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda) +2:21
98. Taylor Phinney (Boulder, Colo./BMC Racing) +8:55
103. Brent Bookwalter (Athens, Ga./BMC Racing) +8:55
Chris Horner (San Diego, Calif./RadioShack-Nissan-Trek) DNF
Tejay van Garderen (Boulder, Colo./BMC Racing) DNF
Timmy Duggan (Nederland, Colo./Liquigas-Cannondale) DNF
Matthew Busche (Wauwatosa, Wisc./RadioShack-Nissan-Trek) DNF
Lucas Euser (Boulder, Colo./Spidertech p/b C10) DNF
This Article Updated September 23, 2012 @ 06:11 PM For more information contact: