Race Director Certification Program
Many professions use certification as a way to confirm that individuals have received a certain level of training and education related to their work. USA Cycling has implemented a certification program for race directors for the same purpose. New race directors can benefit from basic information related to permitting processes, event management requirements and best practices. Experienced race directors can benefit from new information that can improve or enhance their events. The certification status can help establish credibility with government authorities and landowners, sponsors, event partners and participants
WHO CAN OR MUST BE CERTIFIED?
- All race directors who permit competitive events through USA Cycling must be certified.
- Clubs or race director organizations with active USA Cycling memberships can have as many certified race directors in their club or organization as needed, with no additional fees required.
- A certified race director must be listed as a club contact or event organizer for an eligible club or organization in order to submit event permits.
HOW DO I GET CERTIFIED?
- LEVEL C certification is the introductory course for race directors. It is an online self-study course designed to provide race directors with basic information and best practices for organizing a successful cycling event. To become certified as a Level C race director requires reviewing the online curriculum and completing the online exam.
- LEVEL B certification requires completion of a 10-webinar curriculum designed for race directors who are looking to take their event to a higher level. The 10 webinar topics are: volunteer management, radio communications, RaceClean, stakeholders, course design, risk management, crisis management, medical planning, sponsorship, and business management.
- NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL level certification is the highest level certification and is for race directors who are organizing national and international level races. Certification at this level requires attendance at a training conference that provides experienced race directors with advanced event planning information. The conference also offers important networking opportunities with other race directors, USA Cycling staff, and industry experts.
- COLLEGIATE race directors take a specific Level C collegiate certification exam to prepare them for the differences they will face organizing a collegiate race. Progression into Level B and Nat/Int'l. certification follows the same steps as all other race directors.
HOW DO I MAINTAIN MY CERTIFICATION?
- Certification is valid for up to two years, and expires on December 31 of the second year. Example, you are certified March 15, 2015. Your certification will expire December 31, 2016.
- Certification renewal requires completion of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) – 5 CEUs for Level C certification, 10 CEUs for Level B and National/International Level race directors.
- The club or organization under which permits are being submitted must maintain a current USA Cycling Membership.
- The certified race director must continue to be listed as a club contact or event organizer for the club.
- The certified race director must have organized at least one event per year during the certification period and must not be delinquent with any fees or reports related to the event.
WHAT ARE CEUs?
Continuing education units (CEUs) provide the race director with ongoing education and exposure to new ideas for event management. USA Cycling hosts live training events and online webinars for race directors as well as approving CEU credit for many seminars and clinics offered by third parties. A list of approved CEUs is maintained on the USA Cycling website. This is not an exhaustive list, and many other training opportunities related to the duties of a race director are available. Contact the Race Director Certification Manager to discuss having a training event approved for CEU credit.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
- Log in or create a USA Cycling account and look in the race director resources section under the "tools" tab. Here you will find the Level C curriculum and online exam. There is no fee for Level C certification.
- The exam is intended to be an open book process and the passing score is 80% or above.
- After successfully passing the exam, your account will show that you are a certified race director.
- If you are listed as a contact or event organizer for a club or race director organization, and that club or organization has a current USA Cycling membership, you will be able to permit events for them.
- If you will be creating your own club or organization under which to submit permits, go here to register.
Contact the Race Director Certification Manager if you need additional information.
This Article Published March 20, 2015 For more information contact: