Host An Event
Start Planning with help from USA Cycling
Whether this is your first event or you're a seasoned promoter, USA Cycling has the tools, resources, and support you need to make your event a success.
We will guide you throughout your journey, providing support with marketing, promotion, comprehensive liability insurance coverage, safety, and more.
Make Your Event a Success!
USA Cycling proudly partners with thousands of events across the country and can provide you with the guidance and support you need to make your event a success.
To develop the sport of cycling in the United States at all levels and to achieve sustained international success.
Like you, we believe cycling should be fun. When you choose to sanction or permit your event with USA Cycling, you are creating an exciting cycling experience that will lead to lasting memories.
What does it mean to sanction your event with USA Cycling?
If an event is sanctioned by USA Cycling, it means that the event follows the rules and competition structure laid out by the national governing body, the international governing body, and/or the International Olympic Committee.
Sanctioning Elevates Your Event
events across the country sanction with USA Cycling to provide registrants with a high-caliber experience
Results and ranking added to the USA Cycling database
When you sanction your race with USA Cycling, you gain access to marketing, support, cycling-specific insurance, and assistance planning your event. Plus, your participants gain valuable ranking points for their results.
Partner with USA Cycling and gear up for a great event
Hosting a cycling event is an exciting and complex process, and sanctioning is one of the most important aspects to consider. That’s why USA Cycling offers a comprehensive, best-in-class experience for organizers like you.
We'll help you plan and polish a successful cycling event — from setting a date to crossing the finish line and beyond.
Benefits of Sanctioning with USA Cycling
- 30-day, geo-targeted digital marketing campaign
- Inclusion in USA Cycling's event calendar
- Access to marketing tools and resources
- Opportunity to include your event in our member benefits portal
- Access to membership incentive campaigns
- Direct support from USA Cycling industry experts
- Assistance at all stages, from planning to execution
- Guidance with local permitting agencies
- Access to a pool of over 125,000 engaged cycling community members
- Access to USA Cycling licensed officials and race support staff
- Comprehensive rules, policies, and safety standards that cover all aspects of competition
- Educational resources
- Medical checklist
- Safety checklist
- Best-in-class, cycling-specific event insurance designed with decades of experience
- Comprehensive coverage for all participants, sponsors, volunteers, and support staff
- Additional medical coverage for licensed participants
- Assistance from USA Cycling when navigating difficult claims
- Create an opportunity for racers to compete and advance at local, regional, and national levels
- Elevate your event to be a recognized state, regional, or national championship
- Allow riders to qualify for national championships by hosting a sanctioned event
- Access current and historical results and rankings
Steps to cycling event success
Working with USA Cycling gives you expert support throughout the entire event planning process.
01Before the Event
- Give yourself plenty of planning time — ideally up to a year, depending on the size of your event
- Check our event calendar to ensure your event is not placed on the same day as a different cycling event in your region
- Get excited for a great event!
- Write a business plan
- Set realistic estimations for things like participation and revenue goals based on similar events in your region
- Get multiple estimates or bids from different vendors
- Revise numbers as needed
- Identify 3-5 opportunities for sponsor engagement/recognition and use these to seek out and acquire sponsors
- Utilize USA Cycling's expertise
- Review and optimize your race day schedule with our team
- Decide which registration platform to use (We recommend Bikereg.com)
- Planning resources
- Budgeting resources
- Design your logo and build your brand guidelines
- A solid, engaging brand will help your event stand out (and make for some great swag items!)
- Build a website and establish an online presence using social media
- Create the “story” of your event. Why should riders be interested?
- Planning resources
- Marketing Resources
- Click on “Permit Your Event with USA Cycling” and answer the permit questions that apply specifically to your event and discipline
(Don't forget to take advantage of your free Race Director license through your Club Membership)
- Once your permit is submitted and the payment and permit agreement are complete, an Event Services team member will review your permit and be in touch if anything additional is needed.
- *Complete the permitting process at least eight weeks before the event date
- Listing your event on USACycling.org ensures it appears on our event calendar for your area once your permit is approved.
- Start the permit process with USA Cycling
02During the Event
There are so many important things to factor into the execution of your event. USA Cycling has you covered with educational resources that help you feel ready for your event.Event Day Resources
03After the Event
- Create a summary of the event with photos and metrics that matter to your community, sponsors, team, and participants
- Use demographics and participation numbers to help generate support for future events
Upload race results to USA CyclingUpload Results
Complete post-event reporting on your permit by answering some questions about your event and adding your rider countFollow-up Resources
Ready to get started on a great event? Start your permit today!Start Your Permit Today
Not finding what you're looking for? Please leave a suggestion for a new resource you would like to see added to the Resource Hub.Request a Resource