Blue Hero

COVID-19 Protocol for National Championships

Updated: 4/14/21

As we get ready to see you at this year’s National Championships, we will be implementing an on-site COVID-19 protocol to ensure the safest event possible under these extraordinary circumstances. Things will look and be different this year, and despite that, we’re excited about the opportunity to welcome you back to our National Championships after a year of canceled events and other life-altering situations across the country.

The information below is a broad summary of our COVID-19 protocols, including definitions, key staff, staff commitments, participant requirements, the review process, and event cancellation parameters. More detailed information will be available on each event website, and there will be a virtual pre-event meeting to inform riders about each event’s specific protocol. As the pandemic continues to change, this protocol may also vary with fewer or additional restrictions and requirements.

While we can put procedures in place, it is up to all involved to follow these procedures to keep themselves and others safe.

2020 MTB Worlds Masked up 500x500 padding
Anyone not following the detailed event protocol will be asked to rectify the situation. If the person or group refuses or blatantly disregards safety protocols, we will ask the person or group to leave the venue and potentially be subject to the suspension of their USA Cycling membership.
Event Cancellation

While we are working to hold the event under safe conditions, the following reasons would prevent us from having the event and cause the event’s cancellation.

  • A surge in local COVID cases
  • County, state, or federal restrictions will not allow for the event to proceed
  • The local hospital will not have room for trauma patients
During the event

If participants, team staff, or event staff are showing COVID-19 symptoms or have tested positive, USA Cycling and the COVID-19 Coordinator in alignment with the local health department will determine if the event should be canceled for the safety of the entire racing community, as well as the local community.